Date Rape I

I thought it wise to finally share this story. It's over a year old now, hiding behind the covers of my notebook.



16, young, beautiful and naïve. Her name was Tope. I had
only known Tope for about three months. She looked like a
24 year old when i first met her with a baby strapped on
her back. Her well-to-do mother had brought her
to my NGO, Tehila Motivations for counselling and
rehabilitation. Tope was beautiful, but in her eyes, you could
see deep scars of life.

'Good afternoon young lady. A beautiful baby you've got
there. How are you today?' I asked.
She stuttered back a barely audible response.
Anyway, it took me
about two weeks before i could finally gain Tope's trust and get
the full story out of the horse's mouth. Before then each
time she came, all she did was cry and mope in my office, and i was
running out of patience. I couldn't force the story out of the
young lass', it was against the ethics of my profession.
It happened one beautiful sunday after church service. I
was driving out of the church premises when i spotted a
young girl with a child on her back, mucus all over the child's
nose. I took a closer look at this young girl and what my
eyes saw nearly threw me off balance.
'Tope!' I shouted from my car.
On sighting me, Tope immediately turned her face and
hurried down the street. I quickly parked my car, got down
and went after her.
'Madam what is it na.' She snapped as i got to her. She
looked almost mentally deranged and i was taken aback. Had i
made a mistake? Was this really Tope?
'Tope?' I called her name softly, not wanting to provoke or further
cause a scene.
' I don't understand. What were you doing by the church
gates? Were you begging?'

'Madam leave me na, abeg.'

I pleaded with her to follow me to my house, initially she
refused but after a few more tries she agreed. The ride back
home was a silent one. I was eager to get her to my home. I
wanted her to take a shower, to get a change of clothes.
Perhaps she hadn't eaten for days. Her baby, the poor thing
could have been ill. When we arrived, Tope looked indifferent,
unlike many first-timers who thought my house was grand. I led the way.
Still in my church attire, i sat on the chair infront of Tope,
that was when she burst into tears and revealed it all.

'Madam,' she started 'i wasn't always like this. I'm tired of
life and i wish i could just die.'

She spoke in clean English.

To be contd.
!atch out for the next part.

Reactions:

0 comments:

Post a Comment